Guidelines and application
Before applying for support, make sure your organization or project is eligible.
- Qualified charitable, not-for-profit 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations, per Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Code guidelines
- Located in the area served by our respective energy company
- Focused on one of our funding areas:
- Community and neighborhood development
- Arts and culture
- Health and human services
General operating support
We Energies, Wisconsin Public Service, Minnesota Energy Resources, Michigan Gas Utilities
We prefer to support a particular program or project. We rarely provide operating funds to individual United Way agencies that already benefit from our donations to United Way. While United Way supported organizations are excluded for general operating support, they are eligible to apply for a project, program or capital campaign and event sponsorships.
Peoples Gas, North Shore Gas
We support both general operating and specific program grants, depending on the situation. In rare instances, we will support a capital campaign.
- Fraternal, religious or political organizations
- Trips, tours, pageants or athletics
- Team, extra-curricular school events or student exchange programs
- Organizations located outside our service areas, unless funding a specific project delivered directly to our customer communities
- Organizations determined by the IRS to be not tax-exempt under 501(c)(3)
- Organizations that discriminate for any reason, including race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or sexual orientation
Our online application process allows you to:
- Create, save and edit requests
- View status of requests
Grant requests will be reviewed within 90 days from the date of the next deadline. You will be notified by mail or email of the outcome and any dollar amount of an approved request.
Some of our companies have funding deadlines. Check the Grants section for the respective company: